Autumn is all about soup and pumpkins right?! My recipe for a warming Thai butternut squash soup:
Season: Autumn/ Winter
Diet: Gluten free, vegan
Time: 45 minutes
• 1 medium to large butternut squash, chopped in chunks
• 1 large red onion, finely chopped
• A small thumb size piece of ginger, finely chopped
• 1 lemongrass stick, bashed with the back of a knife
• Bunch of coriander
• 1-2 tbsp. of thai red curry paste (depends on how spicy you like it)
• 400 ml. of full fat coconut milk
• 1-2 limes
1. Start by frying the onion in some ghee or oil until soft, then add the ginger, chopped coriander stalks and the lemongrass stick and fry for a minute or 2.
2. Add the red curry paste, fry for another 2 minutes and add the butternut squash chunks, coconut milk and top of with water until the squash is just covered. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring the soup to a boil, now lower the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Check if the squash is cooked and if so, blend the soup with a (hand) blender, adding more water if the soup is too thick.
4. Finish by adding the juice of 1 lime and taste if it needs more salt and pepper or a little piece of a vegetable stock cube.
5. Serve with the coriander leaves, extra optional lime juice and some naan bread!