This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
This snack is always a hit and a change from the often-served humus. It is healthy, vegan but above all delicious! It is also tasty as a dip for pita’s or Turkish bread or make a sandwich with lettuce and tomato.
Servings: 4-6 as a snack
Time: 50 minutes
• 3 aubergines
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 3 tbsp. tahini
• Juice of half a lemon
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped mint
• Large pinch of za’atar
• Pinch of chilli flakes
• Handful of pomegranate seeds
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Crudites such as: Cucumber, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower etc.
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Prick the aubergines all over with a fork, place them on the baking tray and bake for 45 minutes.
3. Wrap the garlic cloves (with skin on) with some olive oil and a pinch of salt in aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes in the oven along with the aubergines.
4. Once the aubergines are ready, scoop out the flesh and purée with a hand blender together with the roasted garlic, lemon juice, tahini and salt and pepper into a chunky or smooth dip (whichever you prefer). Taste the dip and add more tahini, salt or lemon juice if necessary.
5. Scoop the aubergine dip in a flat dish and top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, za’atar and chilli flakes, chopped mint and the pomegranate seeds.
6. Serve with the crudites!