This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
This Asian rice noodle salad is fresh, sour, salty and sweet at the same time because of the delicious dressing. Tip: add fried prawns, grilled or poached chicken or fried tempeh.
Season: Sping/ Summer
Diet: Gluten free, Vegan when you replace the fish sauce for soy sauce or tamari and the honey for brown sugar
Time: 30 minutes
• 135 gr. rice noodles
• 1 yellow bell pepper
• 1 red bell pepper
• 200 gr. cabbage (red cabbage, pointed cabbage etc.)
• 1/2 cucumber
• 2 spring onions
• 200 gr. carrot
• A bunch of dill or mint
• A bunch of coriander
• 100 gr. cashew nuts
• 2 limes
• 4 tbsp. sesame oil
• 3 tbsp. fish sauce
• 2 tbsp. honey
• 1 red chilli pepper
• Small clove of garlic
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil and prepare the rice noodles according to the packacge. Then drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Cut the bell peppers, spring onions and cabbage into very thin strips. Halve the cucumber, scoop out seeds and cut into half-moons and grate the carrots on the largest setting of a box grater. Roughly chop the dill (or mint) and coriander and add everything to the rice noodles.
3. Roast the cashew nuts a few minutes in a dry frying pan, shaking them regularly. Chop them coarsely and add to the salad.
4. For the dressing, mix together the juice of the limes, the sesame oil, fish sauce, honey, a finely chopped red chilli pepper (with seeds) and a grated clove of garlic.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix very well. Taste the salad and add extra lime juice, fish sauce or sesame oil if necessary.
6. Serve the salad cold or at room temperature with, for example, pulled chicken breast, fried prawns or fried tempeh.