This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
I always find this recipe a feast to make and eat! Warm summer days, family garden parties and a large dish of pasta vongole is the ultimate holiday feeling! It is quite simple to make and you’ll only need 8 ingredients. Serve the pasta immediately when finished with a green salad and some bread to mob up the juices.
Time: 30 minutes
• 1 kg. small sustainable clams or vongole, scrubbed clean
• Bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 4 cloves garlic
• Pinch of chili flakes
• 250 gr. cherry tomatoes
• 250 ml. white wine
• 400 gr. spaghetti or linguine
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring a pan of water to a boil. Meanwhile wash the vongole thoroughly and discard the ones that don’t close (after a sharp tap).
2. Finely chop the garlic and parsley and halve the tomatoes.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water with a good pinch of salt and cook al dente. Strain and reserve a glass of the cooking water.
4. While the pasta is cooking, put a large pan on a high heat and add a good glug of olive oil, the garlic, chili flakes, parsley, tomatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for 2 minutes. Add the wine and vongole, give it a good shake and put the lid on to let it steam for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan regularly.
5. When all the clams have been opened (discard the unopened ones) add the pasta and stir until combined for a minute or two. If necessary, add a little bit of the pasta water to loosen.
6. Divide the pasta vongole over the plates and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately!