Who is having kimchi fried rice for dinner tonight? Such a quick and easy comfort food! Kimchi is a spicy Korean side dish created from salted, fermented vegetables, usually cabbage and radishes. It gets its unique kick from a paste made of chili powder, garlic, ginger, red pepper and sugar and its recognizable tang from fish sauce.
Time: 30 minutes
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger
• 100 gr. chopped kimchi
• 1 tbsp. of kimchi juice
• 100 gr. shi take, sliced
• 150 gr. carrot sticks
• 2 spring onions, finely sliced
• 200 gr. rice, cooked and cooled
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• 1 tbsp. sesame oil
• Optional: 1 tsp. of gochujang paste
• Sesame seeds
• Nori sheets, sliced
• Fried eggs
1. Start with prepping all your ingredients, make sure everything is chopped, sliced etc. and ready to go!
2. Heat a drizzle of neutral oil like sunflower in a wok or frying pan and fry the onions, garlic and ginger (and gochujang paste if using) for a couple of minutes on a medium high heat.
3. Next add the kimchi plus juice, the shi take and carrot, fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Lastly, add the rice, soy sauce and sesame oil and fry for 3 to 5 minutes on a high heat, stirring or shaking the pan or wok continuously. Taste if it needs more soy sauce or kimchi!
5. Meanwhile fry the eggs sunny side up in another frying pan in some neutral oil and season with salt.
6. Serve the fried rice immediately while still very hot with the egg, coriander, roasted sesame seeds and nori!