This is comfort food and fresh and light all in one! Super easy to make and if you want it to be more filling swap the lettuce wrap for a bun.
Time: 45 minutes
• 600 gr. chicken thigh (pulsed in a food processor) or chicken mince
• Small piece of ginger, 2 cm, finely chopped
• 2 clove of garlic, finely chopped
• 2 spring onion, finely sliced or chopped
• 1 tsp. five spice
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• Sesame seeds
Red onion pickle:
• 2 red onions, halved and finely sliced
• 150 ml. of mirin
Creamy hoisin sauce:
• 3 tbsp. mayonaise
• 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
• Squeeze of lemon juice
• Head of lettuce
1. Start with the pickled red onion. Add the halved onion rings to a bowl together with the mirin and let it sit for at least half an hour but preferably longer.
2. Next up are the chicken burgers. Mix everything apart from the sesame seeds together and form 4 big burgers or 8 small ones. Divide the sesame seeds over a plate and dip the burgers into the seeds so that all sides are covered. Add some oil to a frying pan and bake the burgers on a low heat until cooked and crispy.
3. Meanwhile mix together the ingredients for the creamy hoisin sauce, make cucumber ribbons, avocado slices and wash the salad leaves.
4. When everything is ready assemble the burgers!
Tip: make 8 small burgers instead of 4 large ones, the smaller ones are easier to eat when you make a lettuce wrap.