This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
A perfect vegetarian starter for this year’s Christmas dinner! If you aren’t a blue cheese fan, you can replace it for a goat cheese.
Time: 55 minutes
• 200 gr. gorgonzola piccante
• 8 sheets of frozen puff pastry
• 8 figs
• 4 red onions
• White balsamic vinegar
• A few sprigs of (lemon) thyme
• 200 gr. rocket salad
1. Cut the red onions into half rings and fry them in a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat for around 20-30 minutes until they are soft and caramelised. Add a splash of white balsamic vinegar for the last few minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
3. Cut a circle from the puff pastry sheets (use a small bowl) and divide on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
4. Crumble the blue cheese over the sheets. Spoon the caramelised red onion on top. Cut the figs into quarters and divide over the sheets. Finish off with some thyme leaves, a small drop of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. In the meantime, mix the rocket with a drizzle of olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Serve the fig tarts warm with the rocket.