Elderflower is in full bloom in April/May and gives you the best lemonade for the whole summer if you make a large batch! The only thing you’ll need is a park, some lemons, sugar and water!
Servings: makes 1.5 litres
Diet: Vegan, Gluten free
Time: 30 minutes plus 24 hours of infusing
• 20 elderflower heads (take of most of the green stalks)
• 2 lemons
• 1200 ml. Water
• 900 gr. of sugar
1. Leave the elderflower heads to infuse in the water for 24 hours. Note: Don’t wash them because you don’t want to get rid of the pollen.
2. Next, pour the infused water through a sieve with a cheese cloth and add the sugar, the rind of the lemon, and slices of the lemon (slice of the white part, you don’t want a bitter taste).
3. Bring the syrup to a soft simmer until the sugar is dissolved and then turn the heat of, leave to cool.
4. Pass the syrup through a sieve again and pour into sterilized jars.
Note: Keeps for months and makes the perfect summer drinks! Add to you champagne, gin and tonic or drink with sparkling water and an extra squeeze of lemon juice.