This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
This is not your classic risotto dish but if you want a light and healthy but very flavourful dinner this is the perfect recipe! I love the combination of asparagus with the mint and pistachio pesto but garden peas, broad beans or courgette will work great as well.
Diet: Gluten free, Vegetarian
Time: 40 minutes
• 1 fennel
• 2 leeks
• 2 cloves of garlic
• Handful of thyme
• Knob of butter
• 200 ml. of white wine
• 800 gr. of cauliflower rice
• 1 litre of vegetable stock
• 600 gr. of asparagus (I used green and white asparagus)
• The zest of a lemon
• Grated parmesan
• Salt and pepper
Mint and pistachio pesto :
• 40 gr. Parmesan
• 30 gr. Mint
• 30 gr. pistachio nuts unshelled
• Squeeze of lemon juice
• Black pepper and pinch of salt
• Good quality extra virgin olive oil (very important otherwise your pesto might become bitter)
1. Finely chop the fennel and garlic and slice the leek in halved rings (after a good rinse to remove all the dirt). Heat a knob of butter in a casserole and add the fennel, garlic, leek and thyme and fry for about 10 minutes on a medium heat until soft.
2. Add the wine and let it reduce until evaporated. Then, add the cauliflower rice and the stock and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Scoop out 300 ml of the cauliflower rice mixture and blend with a (hand) blender or food processor until smooth, and add it to the casserole again.
4. Slice the asparagus in 1-2 cm pieces, add to the casserole and let it cook into the cauliflower rice risotto for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and season the risotto with lemon zest, grated parmesan, salt and black pepper.
5. Meanwhile make the mint and pistachio pesto by blending all the ingredients together in a food processor or with a hand blender and slowly add the olive oil until you have the preferred consistency.
6. Serve the cauliflower rice risotto warm with a big dollop of pesto.